Sunday, August 16, 2015

Chowan Hawks getting over the….er, hump!

Chowan University Head Coach, Tim Place

AHOSKIE, North Carolina -- I’m still chewing on my Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA) predictions for the upcoming campaign. I’ll not delay you beyond the next two weeks since the season is nearly on us and it’s time to just throw my thoughts out there, have at it, and, well, just embarrass myself.

Before I go there, I looked at some of the games, and some of the personalities CIAA fans will be encountering this year. Elizabeth City State’s Waverly Tillar is always a favorite of mine because he always has something funny to say. The yucks come so fast and furious it’s sometimes hard to believe he can really be a hard-liner at practice and on game-day, but that’s what his players tell me, and his outstanding record proves it. No one else in the league’s Northern Division makes for good sports-copy, as we say in the business; but then sometime being a good ‘quote-meister’ isn’t all its cranked up to be. Chowan fans will see Tillar and the Vikings at Garrison Stadium a week before Halloween. After the controversy of that late play in 2013, maybe in this year’s home game the Hawks can scare up a win.

Perusing the Chowan football schedule further I noticed they will open at FayettevilleStateUniversity on Sept. 5 and a week later, return that way when they face the Fighting Camels of Campbell University. Not a bad docket, because even though gasoline is cheap, playing two schools back-to-back that are only 30 miles apart is some shrewd scheduling. Especially with road games later in the season in the likes of Delaware (Delaware State), D.C. (BowieState) and Pennsylvania (Lincoln); save that petrol while you can. Just stick it on I-95 and go.

I don’t know how far ahead they scheduled the Camels, but a good match-up between fellow in-state Baptist schools should bring out the fans, not to mention keep the cussin’ on the field down to a minimum.

CONTINUE READING

No comments: