Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Dwight Floyd Commentary: The FAMU Community Must Move On


TALLAHASSEE, Florida -- I had written an article that I never published entitled FAMU is Not Ready for Change.  It was going to chronicle some of the mishaps by the new President, the Board of Trustees, and many in the FAMU community. I find that I am one of those angry black men caught up in the fray. No, not one of those who wants to lynch the president or trash the Board of Trustees. Rather, I am just sick and tired of all the drama, misperception, rumors, and lack of cohesion from within the FAMU community.

There is a lot to fix at FAMU.

 Regardless of who has been in leadership, financial aid has always been a point of contention as far back as I can remember. Unqualified individuals holding jobs by favor and in some cases collecting pay checks without doing the work; the lack of courtesy and professionalism among peers; adjunct professors waiting months to get their paychecks; buying your cap and gown in anticipation of the graduation ceremony only to receive word in the middle of the semester that you need to complete another class—forgive me while I digress; a Board of Governors that views diversity as a race issue rather than an issue of economics; a list of things small and large, administrative and budget, these should be the focus instead of personalities.

CONTINUE READING

No comments: