Friday, October 9, 2015

JSU's Brent knows pressure is on

JACKSON, Mississippi -- Jackson State basketball coach Wayne Brent is well aware of the pressure he’s under.

And that’s because as he’s entering the final year of his contract (set to expire in June 2016) and is coming off back-to-back losing seasons, he's placing it on himself.

“I felt pressure the first year (at JSU) when I had three years left. I felt pressure the last year I was at Callaway when I had the best team in the state. I want to win. I hate to lose and I hate to be around a loser,” Brent said after his team’s practice on Thursday morning. “Pressure is on me from me. I’m not used to losing, I don’t want to lose, I don’t want to be associated with people who lose. I want to win. I want to win every time I hit the court. That’s what I’ve been accustomed to.”

Brent has won 11 games in each of his two seasons. The Tigers allowed 63.5 points per game last season, which was the top scoring defense in the SWAC. But JSU shot just 38 percent from the field and 27 percent from beyond the arc, which hurt the scoring output.

CONTINUE READING  

No comments: