Thursday, November 19, 2015

Coppin State athletic director resigns

BALTIMORE, Maryland -- Saying he wants to “do some other things I enjoy doing,” Coppin State athletic director Derrick Ramsey has resigned, the university announced Wednesday.

Ramsey has been athletic director at the West Baltimore school since July 1, 2008, when he was appointed by then-university president Dr. Reginald S. Avery.

In a brief telephone interview Wednesday, Ramsey said a desire to work elsewhere led to his decision.

“It's been a great run,” the 58-year-old former NFL tight end said. “I hope I've been able to do some things to impact the university and the students. It's time for me to go off and do some other things that I would like to do. I'm later in my career now. It's not like I'm at the early part. I'm at the end of my career.”

Dr. Maria Thompson, Coppin State president, said in a written statement that associate athletic director Alecia Shields-Gadson would serve as interim athletic director. Gadson has been the coach of the women's cross country and track and field teams for the past 11 years.

CONTINUE READING

No comments: