Saturday, February 13, 2016

Tony Hughes took a pay cut to come to Jackson State

JACKSON, Mississippi -- A Division I head coach's seat is a prized position.

"They only thing I'll say is, in my 31 years of coaching, I would love to be a head coach," then-Mississippi State assistant head coach Tony Hughes told reporters on Dec. 12. "As a career assistant in the SEC, a high school coach, junior college, I would love to be a head coach in my career. There are few opportunities that arise in a career that you may get an opportunity or not."

How valuable is a head coaching opportunity? Well for Hughes, it was worth more than $130,000.

Later that day, Hughes signed an agreement to become Jackson State's head coach for $265,000 for the next three seasons, according his contract, which was obtained this week by The Clarion-Ledger through a public records request.

Hughes was paid $400,000 as Mississippi State's assistant head coach, safeties coach and recruiting coordinator in 2015, according to USA Today.



CONTINUE READING 

No comments: