Saturday, June 25, 2016

Decatur's Godwin will continue hoops career at UMES

BERLIN, Maryland -- It always seemed certain that Dayona Godwin would play college basketball.

The question was, where would she play?

The dynamic guard decided earlier this week to accept an academic scholarship to the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. Stephen Decatur High’s all-time leading girls scorer will play Division I college basketball and she’ll stay on the Lower Shore to do it.

Godwin, who had a 3.75 GPA at Decatur, said she will study criminal justice at UMES.

“It felt like a great fit from the start,” Godwin said. “I would go to some of the open gyms and I could just connect with girls like we have been playing together for years. Another reason is when I went on campus the first time, I liked the atmosphere and instantly felt like I was a part of the family.”

And, with UMES being just a 35-mile ride away from Decatur, Godwin’s family, friends and fans will be able to see her play in maroon and gray fairly often.

CONTINUE READING

No comments: