Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Mervyl Melendez leaving Alabama State for FIU



MIAMI, Florida -- After leading Alabama State to its first SWAC title and first trip to the NCAA Tournament, Melendez has taken a head coaching position at Florida International to take over a program that finished .500 this past season.

"It is indeed a pleasure," Melendez said after being officially named FIU's new head coach as it was streamed live via YoutTube from FIU in Miami. "I'm humbled to have this great opportunity to lead FIU baseball program to where it needs to be nationally."

Wearing a suit, tie and big smile at the news conference, the Carolina, Puerto Rico native said he "will dedicate my life" to FIU baseball.

"This journey started for me many years ago," Melendez said. "Twenty years ago, I became a baseball coach thinking that one day I'd be here. You start with the idea that you not only want to be successful, but you want to get to a place that you can call home. This is one of the few jobs that I looked at as one day could be mine. One day I could be there. One day I can call FIU home and this day has arrived."

FIU's Executive Director of Sports and Entertainment, Pete Garcia, introduced Melendez as the university's new head coach this afternoon.



CONTINUE READING

No comments: