Thursday, August 11, 2016

With Moses Skillon gone, quarterback competition shaping up at Morgan State

BALTIMORE, Maryland -- Chris Andrews has not wasted much time asserting himself with the Morgan State football team.

In less than a week of training camp, the transfer quarterback from Wagner College overtook sophomore Khalil Trotman on the team's depth chart and ran the first-team offense. Andrews is still adjusting to the accelerated progression, but he is fully embracing the opportunity to lead the Bears offense.

"It's real good for me," said Andrews, a graduate student who is pursuing an MBA. "I know I've just got to keep learning the playbook. I know my first couple days, it was just me learning and coming out here and performing so that I can play better with the ones."

Andrews, Trotman, freshman DeAndre Harris and sophomore Randolph Norwood are vying for the chance to line up under center when Morgan State opens the season Sept. 3 against Holy Cross at Hughes Stadium in Baltimore. The program, which is just two years removed from capturing a share of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference championship and representing the league in the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs, was picked to finish seventh out of 11 in the conference's preseason poll.

CONTINUE READING

No comments: