Saturday, October 8, 2016
GAME NOTES: NCCU Eagles Hosts Florida A&M Rattlers
Complete Game Notes as PDF
DURHAM, North Carolina -- This will be the 10th meeting in the series between the NCCU Eagles and the FAMU Rattlers since the teams first played in 1939. FAMU leads the series against NCCU, 6-2-1. The Eagles have never beaten Florida A&M in Durham, North Carolina (0-2-1).
Saturday, October 8, 2016 – Kickoff at 4:00 p.m.
O'Kelly-Riddick Stadium (10,000 capacity/Mondoturf) - Durham, N.C.
N.C. Central (3-2 overall, 2-0 MEAC); Florida A&M (1-4 overall, 1-1 MEAC)
Audio: NCCU Sports Network "GameCentral" at NCCUEaglePride.com (audio internet stream). Broadcast starts at 3:30 p.m. (Jonathan Duren, play-by-play; Joe Simmons, color analyst).
Video: NCCU Sports Network "GameCentral" at NCCUEaglePride.com (pay-per-view video internet stream/$8.95). Broadcast starts at 3:30 p.m. (Jonathan Duren, play-by-play; Joe Simmons, color analyst).
• Saturday is the annual "Prince Hall Shriners Diabetes Classic" and Awareness Day.
• Florida A&M leads the series with NCCU 6-2-1. The Eagles have never beaten the Rattlers in Durham (0-2-1).
• Saturday will be just the fourth gridiron meeting between the NCCU Eagles and the FAMU Rattlers in the past 43 years.
• NCCU owns a 15-3 record against MEAC opponents in the last three seasons under head coach Jerry Mack.
• NCCU has won 10 consecutive games against non-FBS opponents.
• With 325 yards of total offense at Bethune-Cookman on Oct. 1, NCCU redshirt senior quarterback Malcolm Bell became just the third Eagle in school history to surpass 6,000 yards of total offense. The Richmond, Virginia native now has 6,036 total yards and trails only Gerald Fraylon (1981-84; 6,620 yards) and Earl Harvey (1985-88; 10,667 yards).
• Quarterback Malcolm Bell tops the MEAC and ranks 16th nationally (FCS) in points responsible for with 72 (8 passing, 4 rushing touchdowns).
• NCCU sophomore receiver Jalen Wilkes leads the MEAC and ranks 10th in the nation (FCS) with an average of 22.0 yards per reception.
• Florida A&M is coming off a 19-14 victory over Savannah State for its first win of the season.
• NCCU is one of only 14 FCS teams that have scored in every trip to the red zone. The Eagles have 15 touchdowns and five field goals on 20 appearances inside the 20-yard line.
• NCCU received three votes in this week's STATS FCS Top 25 poll.
NORTH CAROLINA CENTRAL UNIVERSITY ATHLETIC MEDIA RELATIONS