Monday, November 28, 2016

Alabama State Lady Hornets draw #11 Florida in NCAA Tournament

MONTGOMERY, Alabama -- The NCAA Division I women's volleyball selection show watch party brought cheers and a reflection on their accomplishments Sunday night on the campus of Alabama State University in the theater room of the student center as the Lady Hornets discovered their bracket fate.

The season will continue for Alabama State with a trip to Gainesville, Florida to take on the No. 11 Gators in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

ASU capped off their perfect conference regular season of 18-0 with a SWAC Championship triumph last Sunday in Jackson, Miss. after rallying back to defeat Texas Southern in four sets.

It extended their consecutive conference winning streak to 21 straight matches.


Now, Alabama State (24-8) will take on Florida (26-3) for the second time in three seasons in a NCAA Tournament match up on Friday, Dec. 2 at Florida for a 7 p.m. ET / 6 CT start in Gainesville.

It marks the Lady Hornets' third overall NCAA Tournament appearance in the last four seasons.

"She means a great ordeal to this team," said senior Jamie Coleman of head women's volleyball coach Penny Lucas-White.

"You're able to just go to her about any situation. She knows volleyball like no other so whatever she says is gold. She also acts like a mother figure for us and helps us come together as a team. Since I've been here, we've been nothing but been very successful."

Alabama State has won at least 20 games in each of the last four seasons.

"It's a surreal feeling," Coleman said.

"I don't really think that it's hit me yet. I do understand that we've been to four SWAC championship matches and won three of them and made three NCAA Tournament trips. I don't necessarily think that I understand the full magnitude of it, but I just know that it's great. To be a part of it, to succeed at that and come here to do what I set out to do, I'm just really excited for this weekend. It's something that will stick with me forever."

ALABAMA STATE UNIVERSITY ATHLETICS MEDIA RELATIONS

No comments: