Saturday, June 17, 2017
Horn voted GCAC Athletic Director of Year for 2016-17
NEW ORLEANS — Xavier University of Louisiana's Jason Horn has been voted by his peers the Gulf Coast Athletic Conference Athletic Director of the Year for 2016-17.
Horn joined XULA March 31, 2014, as director of athletics & recreation. Department highlights since his arrival:
• NAIA national runner-up finishes for men's tennis in 2016 and 2017 — the first two in XULA history.
• Fifteen GCAC and/or NAIA unaffiliated group championships.
• Appearances by each of XULA's nine teams at NAIA National Championship events — 23 total.
• Ninety persons representing the department — athletes, managers and staff — received XULA degrees.
• Four student-athletes were selected as CoSIDA Academic All-Americans.
• Men's basketball won the Buffalo Funds Five-Star Champions of Character Team Award in 2015-16.
• Community service which includes XULA student-athletes assisting with catastrophic flooding in Baton Rouge, La., this past August and after a tornado in New Orleans East in February.
• Average home attendance gains by the Convocation Center's three primary tenants — men's basketball, women's basketall and volleyball.
• Horn-negotiated multi-year deals with Ochsner Health System's sports medicine division, apparel provider adidas and website provider SIDEARM Sports.
"I cannot imagine one more deserving of this honor that Jason Horn," XULA President Dr. Reynold Verret said. "Through the quality and prudence of his judgment, Mr. Horn keeps first in mind the progress of Xavierites as both scholars and athletes. Xavier is fortunate with Jason Horn as AD."
"Congratulations to Mr. Horn on this great honor," XULA Vice President for Student Services Joseph Byrd said. "I knew when we selected him as our AD, we had selected one of the best. Now all of the GCAC knows what we have known for three years. His selection not only brings honor to him but to all athletes and the university community as a whole. We are proud of him."
"Mr. Horn is extremely deserving of this award," GCAC Commissioner Steve Martin said. "His intellect, hard work and business acumen are assets to the conference, and he has been a vital part of the GCAC's growth during his tenure at Xavier."
XULA is one of 47 colleges listed as a "Best Buy School" in the 2017 edition of the Fiske Guide to Colleges.
Ed Cassiere, Sports Information Director
XAVIER UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA