Sunday, August 26, 2007

DSU bustin' rhymes -- and running backs


Photo: DL Tyron Hurst, Soph, Dover HS, Dover DE


OPINION, Kevin Noonan

DOVER -- Al Lavan listened to it and liked it, even if it wasn't Smokey Robinson, with or without the Miracles.

More than anything, Lavan liked the passion he heard in it, and the pride.

It's a rap called "Feel the Sting,'' and it blared from the loudspeakers at Alumni Stadium last season when the Delaware State football team took the field. It was written, sung and recorded by defensive lineman Tyron Hurst, a DSU sophomore and Dover High graduate.

"You can't believe what a rush that is," Hurst said. "When we ran out on the field and I heard that, my heart was pumping like crazy. It's one of the best feelings I've ever had."

You're in trouble boys, cuz you're playing in our yard now

And we can play anywhere -- just put the ball down.

This ain't 99, boys, this is 95

Hit and watch his helmet roll to the sideline.

When we say one Hornet, that's what we really mean

We take the field and make the other team feel the sting

Hurst saw significant action toward the end of his freshman season, and now he is expected to start and be one of the anchors of the Hornets' line. The 6-foot-2, 308-pounder wants to play in the NFL someday, but he also has entertainment ambitions -- lots of them.

"I want to write and record and produce and I want to get into movies and television," he said. "I want to do it all.

The sky's the limit."

That is music to Lavan's ears. The DSU coach loves the fact that his player is so motivated, on and off the field. And Lavan chuckled when told that Hurst's favorite rapper is Jay-Z, not just for his musical talent, but also for his business savvy.

"He's found something he enjoys and something he's willing to work at and commit himself to," Lavan said. "That's what's important to me, that commitment and work ethic, because you don't always find it in kids his age."

Hurst said he has written 12 or 13 songs, and he has probably added to that total by the time you read this.

"I'm writing them all the time. It just seems to come easily to me," he said. "I can be in my room, in the locker room, walking home, anywhere, and things just come to me. I just love music."

But Hurst's pregame rap in 2006 came about by accident.

"I was goofing around and somebody heard me and said I should record it," he said. "That's what I was waiting to hear, and I ended up finishing it in about 15 minutes."

Hurst recruited teammates Omonigho Imeokparia and Octavius Everett to join him on vocals, and the next thing he knew, his rap was echoing around a stadium filled with thousands of fans, not to mention his coaches and teammates.

We're hungry and we all got the thirst to win

Delaware State moving the ball for first and 10

Don't put the ball in the air -- you're gonna get stopped

And if you run the ball you know you're gonna get rocked

With this type of power, teams don't have a chance

Tell Hampton to move over for the new champs!

Feel the sting!'

Of course, Hurst's football, not his singing, could help the Hornets finally win that elusive MEAC championship and a Division I-AA playoff berth. He was a first-team All-Henlopen selection his senior year at Dover and honorable mention All-State. After playing in six games and making 21 tackles as a freshman, he has worked his way into the starting lineup.

"Tyron has the potential to be one of our better linemen," Lavan said. "He's grown and matured through spring football and I think, in his mind, he's begun to take that next step and realize his potential.

"I see that in him as an athlete, but also as a college student. In both areas, he's matured into a good, hard worker and those are the kind of people who have success in life."

Hurst is already hard at work on a new rap for the new season. Just like in football, there is more pressure now because the expectations are higher.

"But it'll be good, I promise you," he said with a laugh. "I've got plenty of ideas."

No comments: