Friday, August 31, 2007

Alabama A&M's McCants hopes for grand ol' homecoming


By REGGIE BENSON, Times Sports Staff

Bulldog grew up in Nashville following Tennessee State

Growing up in Nashville, Kevin McCants rooted for Tennessee State. He lived 10 minutes from campus and attended most of the Tigers' big games. He believed he was going to be a Tiger.

But when it came time to go to college three years ago, McCants picked Alabama A&M over TSU.

"My family and I both made the decision," McCants said. "We met the coaches and we really liked the program and the atmosphere."

Saturday night, McCants will be back in Nashville as A&M's starting fullback when the Bulldogs visit the Tigers in the John Merritt Classic in the season opener for both teams. Kickoff is at 6 at LP Field.

A 5-foot-10, 201-pound redshirt sophomore, McCants played mostly on special teams in last year's game. He had one carry for 4 yards as A&M won 27-20. McCants hopes to play a bigger role this year.

"I'm very excited," he said. "This is what I've been waiting for since I came to A&M. I looked at the schedule and saw Tennessee State on there and that's a team I've been watching for years.

"I never thought I'd be playing against them ... let alone in Nashville. I've got so many high school teammates and friends that play for them, and I'm ready to go out there and compete against them."

McCants follows a long line of outstanding fullbacks for the Bulldogs. Over the past five years, Jonathan Rowland, Jacques Pyant and Trevis O'Neal have played major roles in A&M's offense.

"I know how good those guys were," said McCants, who will split time with redshirt freshman Generion McWhorter. "I want to keep the production going. There's a legacy there and we've definitely got to keep it rolling."

Nobody knows the importance of the fullback better than A&M coach Anthony Jones.

"Without a good fullback, we're not going to be very successful," he said. "Our fullbacks have been key components to us having success. They don't get a lot of publicity because it's not a glamour spot, but they play an important role on our football team."

Jones says McCants has put in the time to become a good player. He's eager to see how he responds.

"McCants is a kid that has always worked hard," he said. "He comes from a family that has spent some time with his upbringing and now it's time to turn all of that into being a good football player. Each one of the fullbacks we've had brought a little something different to the table, and what McCants has to do is understand what he can do to help this football team and do that.

"Is he going to be a big bruising fullback? No. He has to understand what he can do and do that to the best of his ability and make sure he's ready to perform at a high level."

McCants says he's ready.

"I'm really looking forward to it," he said. "I know the

No comments: