Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Carter: Time for FAMU's juniors to step up

Photo: Joseph Wims, DE (left)


Photo: Lymond Reed, DT (right)


By Heath A. Smith, Democrat Staff Writer

You've had time to learn the system. You've waited your turn for two years.

Now is your time.

There are 14 players on Florida A&M's preseason football roster

entering their third season with the team either as juniors or redshirt-sophomores.

Of those 14 players, 10 are listed on the preseason depth chart as starters or key reserves.

In others words, it's time for these third-year players to step up and be major contributors.

"It's an important year because they should have developed over the last two seasons between spring practice and practices during the season," FAMU coach Rubin Carter said. "They should be acclimated to the system and understand what their role is. It's expected that they should be able to make a contribution to help us to win."

Among the third-year players looking to make major contributions in 2007 are receiver Javares Knight, defensive end Joseph Wims and defensive tackle Lymon Reed.

Knight, a 6-4, 190-pound Tallahassee native, was a prized recruit from FAMU High. But he has yet to make an impact as a receiver. After sitting out the 2005 season, Knight did not catch a pass last season as a sophomore.

Knight doesn't plan on letting that happen this year.

"The first two years have been about growing, Knight said. "It has helped to mold me into the player I'm expected to be this year. Now when my number is called I have to really be able to step up with no hesitation.

"I've been here three years and it's time for me to step and be the player I was expected to be out of high school. People expect me to make big plays when they come my way. That's the pressure I put on myself."

Wims was also a much-prized recruit three years ago from Carol City High School in Miami. Coaches and teammates looked at Wims' chiseled 6-5, 250-pound frame and saw FAMU's next great pass rusher.

Wims looked strong in preseason camp as a freshman, but a knee injury forced him to sit out the season. Wims returned from the injury and played in seven games in 2006, but did not record a sack.

"Going through those first two years was a learning curve," Wims said. "I understand the defense better and how stuff is supposed to go. You understand the work that it takes now.

"It's real important to be a contributor this season because we have a lot of younger guys this year. It's up to me and other third-year players to show them what it takes to go through practice at the right tempo and be productive."

Reed actually got on the field as a freshman in 2005, recording one assisted tackle in three games. The junior from Chamberlain High School in Tampa played in seven games in 2006, but recorded just seven tackles.

Reed would like to be a factor in helping a FAMU defense that gave up more than 250 yards rushing a game last season.

"I know what the coaches expect of me now," Reed said. "It's important that your teammates believe in you. At the end of the season, I want them to say I was hustling and was everywhere I needed to be. I want them to say he did whatever he needed to do to help the team."

These three players - and others - are hoping that the third year will be the charm for their college football careers.

"When I was a freshman, I looked up to older players," Knight said. "It's strange that now I'm one of the people that the younger players look up to. When you drop that ball, the younger players are looking at you. You have to make that catch. There's always that pressure."

No comments: