Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Laypoole will play at the University of Arkansas Pine Bluff

Photo: Bre-Ann Laypoole



BY CHUCK LANDIS, clandis@marion.gannett.com

How Bre-Ann Laypoole ended up being Marion's first Division I soccer player defies explanation.

"No way. Never in a million years did I think I would go to college and play soccer," Laypoole said Thursday evening after signing a letter of intent to do just that at the University of Arkansas-Pine Bluff.

Exactly four years ago, Laypoole was sweating with the boys on the Giants' football practice field, and she really wanted a chance to play. That also was 80 pounds and a whole other person ago, she said.

Although she played soccer in middle school, Laypoole never went out for the girls' soccer team until her junior year. With some hard work, Laypoole became the starting goalkeeper, but it wasn't until last year that she became one of the state's best.

Laypoole ranked second in Indiana with a 0.38 goals-against average and helped the Giants to a 14-3-3 season. Marion won its third consecutive sectional title with Laypoole's defense a key factor.

"I never thought I would be the No. 2 goalie in the state, and in fact, I was No. 1 for almost a month," she said. "I wish now I would have played my freshman year."

As the pounds melted away after she started playing with the team, Laypoole became quicker and more nimble around the goal. This summer, she continued to work with Giants coach Idowu Ikudabo and current and past Giants players to stay in shape while sorting through her college options.

Ikudabo said Laypoole would continue to improve in goal with Division I coaching.
"At Division I they have goalkeeper coaches to work with her," he said. "Bre's height - she's 5-foot-11 - also is ideal for Division I.

"When I first saw her, I never thought she would be a Division I player," Ikudabo said. "But she continued to train and work hard, and at the end of (last) year I knew she could go Division I."
Laypoole was planning to walk on at Liberty University, Lynchburg, Va., before Arkansas-Pine Bluff renewed contact with her shortly after her graduation in June. The school offered her a scholarship and also may allow her to play softball.

No comments: