Friday, September 7, 2007

BCU Neufville runs again

By BRENT WORONOFF, Daytona Beach News Journal

DAYTONA BEACH -- As a former walk-on, Paul Neufville never took his college football career for granted, but one year ago the Bethune-Cookman receiver learned first hand about the fine line that could separate success and misfortune.

Neufville was having the game of his life against South Carolina State. He caught five passes for 102 yards -- including a 34-yard touchdown -- in the first half alone. He added a 10-yard sideline catch on the Wildcats' first drive of the second half. Then later in the drive, he ran a 5-yard out route, and his right leg gave out on him.

A month later, the senior was on the operating table, undergoing reconstructive knee surgery for a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

Neufville's season was over, but he didn't give up on his career. Even though his five years were up, he applied for a medical redshirt year and began working harder than he ever had in his life.

"I started rehabbing the day after surgery," he said. "I worked hard all summer."


By late spring he was making cuts again. He participated in preseason drills not knowing if the NCAA would clear him to play.

"I played less than 30 percent of the season (last year), so my chances were good," Neufville said. "But I had it in the back of my mind, 'What if I don't get the year back?' So I just practiced hard and prepared for the worst. That kept motivating me."

On Aug. 31, the day before B-CU's season-opener against Jacksonville, Neufville received his clearance. He caught four passes for 37 yards against JU. And now the sixth-year senior says his knee feels fine, and he is ready to complete what he started one year ago against S.C. State.

The Wildcats will host the Bulldogs in a conference game Saturday at 4 p.m. at Municipal Stadium.

"This receiving corps is better than any receiving corps we've had in my four years here," Neufville said. "And our running game is better with (running backs) Justin Brannon and our new freshman (Brian Sumlar). I don't know how they're going to stop us this year."

The Bulldogs couldn't stop the 'Cats' passing game last year. Jarod Rucker passed for 367 yards and five touchdowns, including two each to junior Stephon Walker and senior Eric Weems, as B-CU won 45-21.

"Rucker and I worked all summer (in 2006) on the passing game," Neufville said. "And before the game, Coach (Alvin) Wyatt told us we were going to air it out, so get ready. They were playing us man. I think they didn't respect the receivers and we exposed that to them."

But no matter what the Bulldogs tried, they couldn't stop the Wildcats' passing game. B-CU had trouble duplicating that success the rest of the season, however.

"When we lost Paul and Jonathan Summers (for two games), that's when everybody just chopped us man-to-man, knowing that we didn't have the experienced receivers to get off the ball," Wyatt said. "(Neufville) is a super athlete. He's an exciting football player, a kid that just needs the opportunity to get out there and finish up without any injuries. He has the speed. He has the size. I think he's a next-level type of player."

Neufville earned his degree in business management and is going for his Masters. He said his coursework in transformative leadership is helping him develop as a leader on the team. But the example he set of not giving in to adversity is more important than any words he could tell his teammates.

"Last year was tough," he said. "But I didn't let it bother me, because I knew God didn't lead me this far to let me down. I'm real happy to be back with the team, and I'm really looking forward to this game."

No comments: