Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Atlanta Classic now RB showcase


Photo: Freshman RB Phillip Sylvester was unstoppable against Howard U.

By Heath A. Smith, DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

One of the major story lines heading into Saturday's Atlanta Classic is the matchup of running backs Philip Sylvester and Javarris Williams.

Sylvester, Florida A&M's freshman sensation from Marianna, is coming off a 222-yard performance Sept. 15 against Howard.

Williams, a junior from Texas, burned FAMU for 229 yards in last year's classic and almost led Tennessee State to its first win in five years against the Rattlers - until he fumbled the ball inside the 10 in overtime.

Both backs come into Saturday's game among the top rushers in the NCAA Division I championship subdivision and will be key factors.

"Watching him on film, (Williams) is a very smart back," said FAMU senior linebacker Dannel Shepard. "He reads his linemen, he knows how to cut his holes and he is a hard runner. I give him much respect for that. He doesn't play around when the ball is in his hands."

FAMU's defense struggled against the run last year, but has looked more stout through three games this season. Williams will provide another test.

"Against Howard, we really did a good job of controlling and attacking our gaps on defense," Sheppard said. "If we continue to do that we can minimize a lot of the yards (Williams) gets on the ground."

Atlanta native Anthony Edwards led FAMU with 101 yards rushing against Tennessee State last year. He says Sylvester's speed gives FAMU's offense another dimension.

"That boy is fast," said Edwards, a senior. "That 95-yarder he had against Howard - people ask me if I would have been able to make that run. Only thing I could come up with to tell them was that I guarantee I would have gotten the first down, but after everybody would have started running after me, I don't think I would have made it."

Sylvester, preparing for his Georgia Dome debut, said his focus will not be outdoing Williams.

"When I go into a game, I really don't try and compare myself to anybody else," Sylvester said. "What he does has nothing to do with what I'm going to to do or what I'm capable of doing. I'm worrying about our offensive scheme and their defense."

Saturday: 3 p.m. on FSN (joined in progress at 4 p.m.), WHBX (96.1 FM).

No comments: