Friday, September 14, 2007

Mother knows best for AAMU Banks

By REGGIE BENSON, Huntsville Times

Mom's advice leads Birmingham tailback to A&M

Ulysses Banks had no intentions of coming to Alabama A&M. He wanted to play in the Southeastern Conference and had verbally committed to the University of Kentucky, but that was before he failed to qualify academically after a star-studded career at Parker High School in Birmingham.

Even so, Kentucky wanted to send Banks to Butler Community (Kan.) College and re-sign him two years later. That's when Banks' mother - Shirley - stepped in.

"My mother helped me make up my mind," Banks said. "She told me you're not going way up there."

Good thing he didn't. If he had, Banks wouldn't hold the single-game rushing record at A&M.

Banks had a night to remember on Saturday night.

In just his second career start, Banks, a 5-foot-8, 172-pound sophomore, rushed for a school-record 211 yards on 19 carries in A&M's 41-10 trouncing of Clark Atlanta. Banks' 211 yards eclipsed the mark of Jeremiah Bonds, who rushed for 197 yards against Mississippi Valley State on Sept. 20, 2003.

"We knew we could have a big night as an offensive unit, but I didn't know it was going to be that big," said Banks, whose father Kenny played for the Bulldogs in the 1980s. "I'm excited about it because it's my first 200-yard game and I've been playing football since I was 3.

"If I wouldn't have done it, it wouldn't have been right. The holes were so big that if I wouldn't have run for 200 yards, I would have let my linemen down because they worked so hard."

One of those linemen, left tackle Darius Turner, was mesmerized by Banks' effort. Turner has spent the last two years blocking for Nic Luke and Ta'mar Scott, more power runners than scat backs.

"I enjoyed his running," Turner said of Banks. "It's not something that I'm used to. He makes my job easy."

Turner and company made it easy for Banks, who admitted he was nervous Friday night and during Saturday's pre-game meal.

Banks shook off his butterflies and had 122 yards at halftime and never imagined he'd be around to top the 200-yard mark.

"I figured I'd play a little in the third quarter and then (Anthony) Green and (Sylvester) Steward would get in and have a big night," said Banks, who had runs of 39, 43 and 34 yards, respectively. "After the third quarter, they told me I needed six more yards and I said six more yards for what.

"They told me to just get six more yards and that's when I broke a long run and I was through for the night."

Banks picked up 34 yards on his final carry early in the fourth quarter to break the record.

Not bad for a guy who hadn't carried the ball in a game from scrimmage until this season.

"We saw what he could do in spring ball," A&M coach Anthony Jones said. "We knew he had the speed. We knew he had good vision. He's not a big kid, so we had to be smart how we used him."

Banks led the nation in kickoff returns last season, averaging 34.3 yards per return, including touchdowns against Southern and Alabama State.

"We don't win those games without him," Jones said. "We wouldn't have won the SWAC championship without him."

A&M probably won't win it without him this season, either.

No comments: