Sunday, September 16, 2007

TSU Tigers star untouched on blocked extra point


By MIKE ORGAN, The Tennessean

CLARKSVILLE — Tennessee State cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie fully expected to come up with a key blocked extra point kick in overtime Saturday against Austin Peay.

In fact, Rodgers-Cromartie had asked TSU Coach James Webster to send him from the corner to try to get the block.

Webster gave the go-ahead and Rodgers-Cromartie promptly blocked Isaac Ziolkowski's kick, holding APSU's lead to six (32-26).

TSU scored a touchdown on its possession in overtime and Tigers kicker Eric Benson won the game with his extra-point kick.

"Austin Peay blocked down and nobody extended a hand out to even touch me,'' Rodgers-Cromartie said. "They had been doing that the whole game, so I went to Coach and said, 'Let me go get it full speed.' He told me to go and I went. I knew if I blocked that kick then we were going to score and Benson was going to make the extra point like he did."

Webster said he encourages his players to come to him with ideas, even in the course of a game.

"We're a team and I listen to my players,'' Webster said. "I've got confidence in what they say and confidence in what they do. They know I'll listen to them when they come to me with something that they think will work."

Hall out: TSU starting cornerback Marquez Hall did not dress after suffering a high ankle sprain late last week against Jackson State.

Junior Kevin Bledsoe from Stratford, who made his first start, replaced Hall, a transfer from Vanderbilt. Bledsoe recorded three solo tackles and broke up a pass.

Under the weather: TSU defensive tackle Lamar Divens is recovering from a bout with strep throat and was replaced on the first team by junior Maurice Royster. Divens came in late in the first quarter and recorded one tackle, while Royster did not make a stop.

Vanatta hurt: Austin Peay strong safety Jason Vanatta left with 1:22 to go in the first quarter after spraining his left ankle. Vanatta did not return and could miss next week's game against UT Martin.

Butterfingers: There was a total of 10 fumbles in the game. TSU had six and lost three while Austin Peay had four and lost three. Neither team, however, had an interception.

No comments: