Saturday, August 2, 2014

Texas Southern's Michael Strahan ranks right below Lawrence Taylor amongst NY Giant greats



CANTON, Ohio − He sat in a locker room as a rookie, taking orders from Lawrence Taylor. He spent so much time during his career with Harry Carson (S.C. State) that he considers him “my big brother.” He is enough of a student of history that Michael Strahan can list all the greatest defensive players in Giants history.

It still seems strange to him that his name is placed so prominently on that list.

“To hear names like that and think I’m in that same group is unbelievable,” Strahan said on Friday. “Because I never planned on it. The fact it came down to this, being mentioned in that (group), it’s something. I mean, LT? Are you kidding me? Harry Carson? These guys are guys that I grew up watching and I loved and appreciated them.”

And they appreciate him, and have accepted the soon-to-be Hall of Famer into their notable group of former Giants. Yes, when discussing the list of greatest Giants defenders, it starts with Taylor and there’s a gap before anyone else. But on that next tier of names, Strahan − who will be inducted into the Hall on Saturday night − has to be included.

CONTINUE READING

No comments: