The "unofficial" meeting place for intelligent discussions of Divisions I and II Sports of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC), Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC), Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA), the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SIAC) and Gulf Coast Athletic Conference (GCAC).
America's #1 blog source for minority sports articles and videos. The MEAC, SWAC, CIAA, SIAC and GCAC colleges are building America's scholars, athletes and leaders.
Saturday, December 3, 2016
ESPN3: Western Illinois Returns Home to Face Chicago State Saturday at 3:00 p.m. EST
Western Illinois Leathernecks (2-5) vs. Chicago State Cougars (2-4)
WHEN AND WHERE: Saturday, December 3 | 2 p.m. Macomb, Ill. | Western Hall (4,553)
MACOMB, Illinois -- Western Illinois (2-5) continues the non-league portion of its schedule Saturday afternoon (Dec. 3) when Chicago State (2-4) comes to Macomb... The Leathernecks and Cougars are slated to tipoff at 2 p.m. inside Western Hall, and the afternoon tilt is slated to be streamed live on ESPN3.
- Western Illinois men's basketball dropped its nonconference road game at American 57-50 Tuesday evening (Nov. 29)... Senior Garret Covington finished with a game-high 20 points... Sophomore Jordan Hughes played a career-high 16 minutes and grabbed a career-high and team-best nine rebounds.
- Mike Miklusak continued his fast start... After recorded the team's first double-double of the season in 36 minutes of action at Miami (14 points, 11 rebounds), the senior scored 10 points and grabbed six rebounds in 31 minutes at American. Miklusak came off of the bench in each game.
- Covington leads WIU in scoring, averaging 21.1 points per game... He has scored 15-plus points in all seven games this season, and 20-plus points in each of WIU's last four games (22 at EIU | 26 vs. Crown | 29 at Miami | 20 at American).
- Covington has 1,487 career points and most recently moved into eighth place all-time at WIU... H passed Ceola Clark III and is not the program's all-time leader in total points during the program's NCAA DI era... Covington is 10 points from moving into seventh, and 22 away from sixth.
- Covington, who also ranks second all-time in career 3-pointers (234 3-pointers), is only 14 triples away from being the program's all-time leader.
- Senior guard Jabari Sandifer has 357 career assists and is five away from moving into the Top 3 in WIU's program history.
SERIES HISTORY: The Leathernecks lead the all-time series with Chicago State 24-13... The most recent contest came last season at Chicago State when the Cougars downed the Leathernecks, 77-70... The first ever meeting between the two programs occurred on February 5, 1972 with Western defeating CSU 124-91 (The 124 points scored by WIU ranks fifth-most in the program's history)... That meeting marked the only 1-of-3 meetings between the two programs before Western moved up to NCAA Division I... Chicago State was a member of The Summit League when it was known as the Mid-Continent Conference, joining the league in 1994 and departing in 2006... During that time period WIU went 16-8 against the Cougars, never facing them in the league's tournament... Since CSU left the league the two teams have only played one other time prior to last season on Jan. 20, 2007 when the Cougars defeating the Leathernecks 82-72 in Macomb... WIU's program record for blocks in a game of nine by Shelby Thompson happened against Chicago State during the 1992-93 season.
WHAT'S NEXT?: Western plays the back end of its home-and-home series with Eastern Illinois inside Western Hall on Saturday, Dec. 10... The contest is Western's final nonconference home game of the season.
THE LAST TIME OUT: Western Illinois men's basketball dropped its nonconference road game at American 57-50 Tuesday evening (Nov. 29). The Leathernecks, who led by nine points at halftime, lost their lead early in the second half after the Eagles opened the period on a 10-0 run. American eventually built its lead up to seven, 49-42, with 5:42 to play in regulation. WIU wouldn't give in though as the Leathernecks answered with a 6-0 run to get back within a point at the final media timeout, 49-48. AU and Western exchanged baskets and the Leathernecks again found themselves down one with 26 seconds to play, but WIU missed its opportunities to regain the lead before eventually falling to 2-5 on the season. Senior Garret Covington finished with a game-high 20 points. It marked his fourth straight game with 20 or more points, and the Edwardsville, Ill. native also passed Ceola Clark III on WIU's career points list to gain sole possession of eighth place (1,487 points). Covington added four rebounds and two assists as well.
AT HOME: Western is 46-24 (.657) inside Western Hall since the beginning of the 2011-12 season... The Leathernecks went 10-4 (.714) during their 2011-12 campaign, 12-2 (.857) during the 2012-13 league slate, 7-5 in 2013-14 (.583), 8-6 (.571) in 2014-15, 7-6 (.500) in 2015-16, and WIU is 2-1 on LeRoy A. Ufkes Court inside Western Hall so far this season.
WESTERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY ATHLETIC MEDIA RELATIONS