Saturday, March 6, 2010

New recruit, Darryl Hudson hopes for a smooth transition

Darryl Hudson, 24, has played at the professional level in Finland and Hungary after completing his education at Howard University. This flick is a game from this first professional season in Finland. Hudson is #5 in orange uniform.

A self-described "military baby", new Wellington Saints import Darryl Hudson hopes to carve out a career Down Under shooting hoops, not guns. The 24-year-old American guard has fashioned a solid basketball resume, playing in the top German and Finnish leagues after graduating from Howard University. And when his American-based trainer, former Australian NBL player Phil Handy, discovered Pero Cameron would be coaching the Saints this season, an unlikely connection was made. "When I had this opportunity, I had to take it," Hudson said.

"My goal is to play in this league and then get to the Australian league. [Handy] knows Pero pretty well and he wanted Pero to check me out. Pero liked me so he brought me here." Hudson seems genuinely excited to be in Wellington and is full of questions about Cameron. "I heard he was kind of a legend, he's like big time around here. Is that right? That's a good thing for our team right there and then he's also playing too. I know he's like the Michael Jordan of New Zealand/Australia, that's what I heard." Hudson hopes to bring his girlfriend out from America to live with him and explains why playing ball on the other side of the world appeals.

"Europe basketball is cool but to play in Australia, man, that's something that a lot of people don't get to do. It's far away, it's far as hell, but it's a good league and I have a couple of friends, like Tywain McKee from Coppin State University [Wollongong Hawks import] that play in that league." Just laidback man, that's my type of lifestyle. People embrace you when you meet them, instead of people just being standoff-ish in Europe, because they don't understand the language."

Hudson chuckles when told Saints chief executive Nick Mills has identified a touch of Boston Celtics superstar Ray Allen in his play. "I would say I'm a smooth player, but I'm not Ray Allen. I like players like Ray Allen, Joe Johnson, the smooth guys, Penny Hardaway, those type of players. I'll try my hardest to be him but ... "

READ MORE, CLICK TITLE.

No comments: