Sunday, November 5, 2017

Lane Dragons Pick Up Win In Season Finale



JACKSON, Tennessee -- One parent, waiting outside the locker room called it a "character game." Another one said, "we needed this one."

For Lane College Head Football Coach and Athletic Director Derrick Burroughs, it was a sense of relief as the Dragons knocked off Central State University, 28-20, in the season finale Saturday afternoon at Lane Field.

"I don't know what this does for the program, but I know what it does for me," Burroughs said. "The pressure that was on me, I guess I just put it on myself.

"There was nobody putting pressure on me. I was just putting on myself. I guess I'm just wired that way."

This season, the Dragons' offense has struggled to score early in ballgames. This was not the case Saturday, as Lane mounted a 14-play, 75-yard drive, that ate up over six minutes to take a 7-0 lead on their first possession.

The teams took a 14-all tie into the locker room. After the Dragons retook the lead in the third quarter, an interception by CSU looked to tie the game, but the point after attempt flew wide right to give the Dragons a slim 21-20 lead. Lane added to their lead thanks to an 11-play, 68 yard drive mostly due to running back Marcus Holliday, who finished his last game as a Dragon with 174 yards off 29 carries and a touchdown.

Quarterback Marcus Reynolds had his best game of the season as well, finishing 21-of-33 for 205 yards in the air including a 51-yard touchdown pass to Aaron Thomas. Reynolds added a touchdown on the ground as well.

There were all smiles and plenty of hugs on the field and in the stands Saturday afternoon. One parent said, "This team needed this."

Many, if asked, would say the entire Lane College family needed it.

The seniors went out winners. The fans went out smiling. The future looks bright.

Does it get any better that that?

BOX SCORE



LANE COLLEGE DRAGONS SPORTS INFORMATION

No comments: