Sunday, January 21, 2018

from THE EDITOR Dwight Floyd -- Jake Gaither: Agile, Mobile, Hostile

TALLAHASSEE, Florida -- There are those times in life when you experience something that you can relate to or are inspired by. The last time I had that kind of reaction was watching the movie Hidden Figures. While watching the movie for the first time I found myself reacting emotionally to what Katherine Johnson must have felt as the only black person notably desegregating a crowded room.

Yesterday I received a book in the mail, The Biography of Jake Gaither: Agile, Mobile, Hostile, by Roosevelt Wilson. I went to bed that night thinking I would read it the next day. I awoke around 3:00 AM and decided to watch Angelique Kerber beat Maria Sharapova at the Australian Open rather than go back to sleep. I unwrapped the book to peruse the pages and enjoyed it so much that I didn’t put it down until I had finished reading it hours later.

Jake Gaither knew who he was. He knew that he was just as good a coach as Bear Bryant, Eddie Robinson, or Ohio State’s Woody Hayes. He didn’t spend his life trying to ...

CONTINUE READING

No comments: