Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Johnson C. Smith quarterback rivals share mutual aims and respect Wallace, Herbin benefit from pushing each other

CHARLOTTE, North Carolina -- Antonio Wallace is winning Johnson C. Smith’s unexpected quarterback derby.

Wallace, a redshirt freshman from Charlotte, is the likely starter in Thursday’s season-opener against Wingate. Although he’s never thrown a pass in collegiate competition, Wallace will be the starter while senior Harold Herbin is the backup.

“It’s great to be the starter, but I know there’s an experienced guy behind me,” said Wallace, who is 6-foot-3, 185 pounds. “I’ve got to be at my best because I know he’s right there and that’s good for me, good for him, and good for the team.”

Wallace, a South Mecklenburg High graduate, made the most of the opportunity when last year’s starter, Terrance Ervin, decided not to return and senior Jordan Lane transferred to Wingate. Suddenly, the job was up for grabs between Herbin, a career reserve, and four freshmen.

“Right now, if we had to play, it would probably be ...

CONTINUE READING

No comments: