Friday, December 21, 2018

On the record with the Gold Nuggets' Mikayla Bates

Xavier University of Louisiana women's basketballInterviewed by Ed Cassiere on Dec. 13, 2018
Interview first published in the XULA-North Texas game notes of Dec. 16, 2018


What was your most difficult class during the fall 2018 semester?
     "Investments. It was something I wanted to take because I am going into the financial field, and I knew I needed some kind of background in investments. I needed to learn about stocks and how people invest aggressively or conservatively. At some point I want to sit for the Series 6, Series 63 and Series 7 exams so I can get my investment license."

What accomplishment were you most proud of during the fall 2018 semester?
     "Getting an A in that investment class. I'm hoping for a 4.0 this semester. I've got a good shot at it."

You interned the past two summers with Northwestern Mutual and received high marks both years, including a top-10 rating in 2017. How was that experience?
     "It was mind-blowing. It really taught me a lot of people skills and how to work better by myself because I'm always working with a (basketball) team. So it taught me a lot of independency. Having a real-world experience instead of a classroom experience is totally different. Just to have that under my belt has really prepared me for my future after I graduate from Xavier."

So what are your plans after you graduate in May?
     "I will intern with Northwestern Mutual again this summer. They have offered me a full-time position, which I will accept after the summer."

You have nearly 200 career steals, and you are among the top 25 all-time at XULA. What's the secret to getting steals?
     "Baiting them in. Making it look like they're open when they're really not. I see their eyes, and so I just go for the ball. And some of it is being at the right place at the right time."

As a freshman you were on a team that qualified for the NAIA national tournament, but your teams missed the past two seasons. How frustrating was that?
     "It's not really frustrating, but it's disappointing. It's just increased my hunger to get back there, because it's such a great accomplishment."

Why do you think this year's team has a chance to qualify for nationals?
     "Nobody's a cancer. Everybody works together. We're growing as a sisterhood each and every game. We have some experienced players, and we have some new players who have given us an extra boost of energy."

What's it been like to play for coach Bo Browder?
     "Awesome. Amazing. Frustrating some days. He's a great coach. His ability, his mindset — sometimes as a player you know you want to question it, but he always has a reasoning behind what he does and at the end you're like, oh, that's why he did it. And that's why he's the coach, and that's why I'm the player. He has a lot of energy. I like the way he gets people. He's a very people-oriented person. It's hard not to like him. As a coach he's just a great guy, and he knows what he's doing."

Can you share an anecdote about coach Browder, on or off the court?
     "I don't really have one to share. It's more about his mannerisms. The way he walks down the court during practice, the way he talks — "I'm a good ol' country boy" — and then when we do something bad, he'll tell us, "Take us to the mountain tops" when he makes us run the stairs. It's his overall aura. There's not a story about him that defines who he is."

Who is your favorite basketball player?
     "Maya Moore (Minnesota Lynx), because of her tenacity. You never know when she's frustrated. The way she plays cool, calm and collected and still gets the job done. I really admire that."

Who is your favorite athlete outside of basketball?
     "Alvin Kamara (New Orleans Saints). He's great. He's very hungry each and every play. He gets it done somehow. It's amazing what he does on the field. I enjoy watching him play."

You have reached and maintained high levels of success at XULA in the classroom and on the court. How have you been able to do it?
     "Just getting the job done. Being laser-focused. Turning all my assignments in. Not slacking up even though there were times when I wanted to. I took advantage of all the opportunities that were given to me, whether it was career fairs or staying up late and studying or staying in the gym. I like doing those things. I like being successful. That's what drives my hunger. I hate losing. I hate being second place."

What is your biggest distraction?
     "Trying to maintain my social life. They have parties out there, things like that, and I want to go! In college it's very healthy to have a balance. I love people. I love interacting with people."

So how have you handled it? Are you leaving XULA with a healthy social life?
     "Oh yeah. Definitely."

You didn't feel like you were stuck-up, or a nerd or a recluse?
     "No (laughs). People will say, 'Mikayla, why do you always tell us to get good grades? Why do you always tell us about these things?' Because it matters! It matters about where you're going after college. Because college is just four years. Nobody calls me a nerd, though."


Ed Cassiere, Assistant Athletics Director for Communications
Department of Athletics & Recreation
XAVIER UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA 
XULAgold.com
twitter.com/xulagold

www.facebook.com/xulagold 

No comments: