Tuesday, January 1, 2008

FAMU Coach Joe Taylor: Sermon on the Rattlers

Photo: Is another National Football Championship in the plans for the Joe Taylor led FAMU Rattlers? Only time will tell as Step One in the process has been completed. Photo is FAMU's 1978 National Championship Team, the hardware and Miss FAMU 1978.

The dialogue from FAMU's press conference on December 31, with the presentation of Florida A&M University new head football coach Joe Taylor quickly became an ole fashioned revival of Rattler Pride and an awaking of the Jake Gaither mystique.

Coach Taylor, like FAMU President Dr. James Ammons and director of athletics William "Bill" Hayes vowed to return Florida A&M University to its former greatness on the gridiron. The synergies of these three leaders are remarkable and Rattler Nation finally has the leadership and commitment necessary for us to work collectively together to accomplish these lofty goals.

As you read the transcript of Coach Taylor's remarks, you will have no doubts that this is all part of the master's plan or the master plans of the Ammons Administration.

Joe Taylor is now the highest paid football coach in Black College Football and is predestined to take the mighty Rattlers to their traditional place of football supremacy in the Football Championship Subdivision.

Here are the remarks made by Coach Joe Taylor.

Thank you so much.

I didn’t have a prepared speech. I guess when you’ve been here and done some things for a while, it’s kind of here what you do. [Taylor points to his heart.] I do want to thank Dr. Ammons and let him know that really he’s the reason I’m here. I’ve researched. I’ve looked around. Everywhere I looked, everything I heard said this is a guy you really want to work for. That’s why I’m here.

When you look at Eddie Robinson, certainly he did a great job of molding and building and sending men forward. Then there is another guy I had the real fortunate occasion to meet. That’s the great Jake Gaither. He had built, in my mind, one of the most storied programs ever. I tell the story all the time when Eddie and Jake got together in the Orange Blossom Classic. Bob Hayes was one of the great receivers out of here.

This story I always share with my players because it sends a message. Bob was running down the sideline. He had caught a pass and he was about to score. One of the Grambling corner-backs was in pursuit and about to make the tackle. The fans from FAMU started to yell, ‘Go Bob Hayes. Go Bob Hayes.’

The corner-back stopped running. He was about to make the tackle. When he got back to the sideline, Eddie said, ‘Son, what happened? You could have made the tackle.’ The corner-back responded,‘I didn’t know that was Bob Hayes. I’m not supposed to be able to catch him.’ So I use that often because that’s a mystique.

You want that kind of tradition. You want people to know that what you stand for they can’t compete against. I would think that spirit can return. That spirit can still be here. With that in mind, what I intend to bring here is no magic. There’s no mystery.

In my mind, coaching is a ministry. Whenever you are trying to improve the lives of young people, it’s a ministry. We’re not going to be concerned with what happens on Saturday; we’re going to be concerned with what happens all week. You can not be a champion all week and expect to be one on Saturday.

I think that every Sunday everybody should start off in some-body's church. Find a man’s spirit, there also you find him. When his spirit is right, then everything else follows. On Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday – class. You’ve got to go to class. That’s what champions do. You can’t get smarter turning in someone else’s homework. You’ve got to do it for yourself.

In the weight room, it’s not osmosis. You lift to get smarter. That’s what champions do. On the track, again you’ve got to run to get faster. If you could lay under a shade tree and drink kool-aid to get in shape, then we’d do that. But we know that doesn’t work.

Study hall – we’ve got to be there. Whatever responsibility there is, you have to manage. If you do that, the only thing that changes on Saturday is the atmosphere because you are already a champion.

In my mind there are four numbers that we all have. Those four numbers we have nothing to do with. That’s the year we were born. There will be, at some other time, four other numbers. Those will represent expiration. We really have nothing to do with that. But in between those numbers is a dash. That’s the only thing we have control over – that’s your dash.

How do you control your dash? Let’s spell it out.

Now, I’m letting you know that the players are going to hear this a little more intensely but I want you to hear the philosophy.

The ‘D’ is for discipline. I don’t care what you try to get done in life, it must start with discipline. You’ve got to do the right thing. There is no short cut. You’ve got to do the right thing.

‘A’ is attitude. We will never accept invitations to pity parties. Attitude. Attitude. We’re not concerned about what the naysayers are saying. We’re not concerned about what people say you can’t do.

We’ll find a way to reach inside and flush all of that negative programming because it’s about your attitude. And your attitude can get derailed by what I call noise. We’ve got to rise above the noise. Attitude. Attitude. You have to control your attitude.

‘S’ is for sacrifice. You were not put here on this earth to be served. You were put here to serve. It’s about sacrifice. When you put forth the necessary effort to be the best person that you can be, that’s a sacrifice. But look at how many people it serves and who can sit there and feel great about what’s happening on that field or in that classroom. It’s a sacrifice. You need to think about that.

We are ambassadors for all the great things that ever happen here. We have to connect that. We need to understand that. Others made great sacrifices so that you could be here. How dare you think you don’t need to be of that same nature. You must sacrifice.

Then the ‘H.’ The ‘H’ is for habits. Man does not decide his future. Man decides his habits. And his habits decide his future.

A player comes into me and says, ‘Coach, I want to be a doctor.’ ‘That sounds good, son, but I heard you were out drinking last night.’ ‘Yeah, but I want to be a doctor.’ ‘No, you want to be an alcoholic.’ Let’s get that straight.

When you can get that D-A-S-H, when you can control that, then you’ve got a chance. The program has a chance. The people around you have a chance. More importantly, you will have a life that is full of quality. That’s what the Lord wants. He wants you to have a great life. But you’ve got to control the dash.

In a nutshell, that’s really the key to success.

Certainly, this profession has been great to me. Really, I was called for this. It’s not like you came out of the womb and said that’s what you wanted to do. As my life went on in terms of going on to college with a scholarship and graduating within four years and having all kinds of opportunities, my high school coach kept calling me back. It just evolved. I’m just being obedient.

Someone says, ‘Wow, 16 years and 13 championships and you want to move?’ I’m being obedient. I told them I wasn’t moving. I’m expanding the neighborhood.

This is another opportunity to come and to minister and to let young men understand why they are on this earth. We want the Jake Gaither spirit to rise. We want all of Rattler Nation to be proud of what’s going on and we want to be a part of that.

As I said, Dr. Ammons is the biggest reason but Bill Hayes and I go back a long ways. We faced each other across the field. I don’t know who got the record over the other one. I’m just saying let’s put both records together. Then, too, we all know this place has so much potential. Let’s let people know we were sleeping for a little while but we’re back.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity. I vow to you my best. My wife already knows that football is 13 months a year. It’s non-stop. It’s something you can always do because you enjoy. It’s not a job. It’s an opportunity and it’s something we look forward to doing in this community.

Straight No Chaser, Julian "Cannonball" Adderley and Nat Adderley 1974

No comments: