Saturday, January 19, 2008

Veltkamp brings a touch of CLASS at UMES

Photo: Forward Kristi Veltkamp #3 is a star on both the basketball court and classrooms at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore.

UMES basketball player is a nominee for national award

PRINCESS ANNE -- I'll take a slab of meat loaf, a side of mashed potatoes and a big glob of good news. Well, that's not quite how it happened, but it was in the cafeteria at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore where basketball player Kristi Veltkamp found out she was a nominee for the Lowe's Senior CLASS Award.

"I heard about it from the lady that works in the cafeteria," Veltkamp said. "I just walked in and she said 'Congratulations,' and I was like, 'What are you talking about?' She saw it in the newspaper and showed it to me. I didn't even realize what it was at first. I was really thankful, (the coaching staff) surprised with nominating me. I'm really blessed."

CONTINUE READING THIS STORY BY CLICKING ON THE BLOG TITLE.

CLASS stands for Celebrating Loyalty and Achievement for Staying in School. The award is given to a senior in eight Division I sports and focuses on classroom, character, community and competition. Veltkamp has a GPA of just under 4.0 while majoring in human ecology and is one among 30 outstanding student nominees for the national award.

No comments: