Saturday, August 6, 2011

A Wild Journey For Laurel High Grad/Bowie State's Erhie

OgheneMaro Erhie
Bowie, MD - OgheneMaro Erhie was born in Nigeria and grew up playing soccer in that country, which is not unusual. He now plays football for Bowie State. And there are certainly other natives of Africa who ended up playing college football in this country.

What makes the Erhie story unique is that while he attended and graduated from Laurel High he never played football for the Spartans.

"I was mostly a soccer player. I was not really interested in football," Erhie, a 2006 graduate of Laurel, told Patch on Thursday. Erhie played soccer while at Laurel High and did not play organized football until he was a walk-on at Morgan State in Baltimore.

"I guess I got really big. I liked (watching) football and wanted to play," he said. "I think I made quite an impression at Morgan State. I never dressed but I was on the practice squad in 2007."

He then transferred to Division II Bowie State and last season he made the CIAA All-Rookie team as a 6-foot-6, 340-pound offensive lineman for the Bulldogs.

READ MORE

No comments: