Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Andre the Giant: Former Forest Hills star signs with Coppin State

ANDRE ARMSTRONG
6-2 GUARD
QUEENS, NEW YORK
MONROE COMMUNITY COLLEGE
NEW YORK, New York - Andre Armstrong's journey to a Division I scholarship featured as many stops and starts as the Brooklyn/Queens Expressway.

After four solid years at Forest Hills, it included one year of prep school at Notre Dame Prep, two junior college years at Monroe Community College and a verbal commitment to Maine. The talented shooting guard’s plan was to attend Maine after one year at Monroe, but the NCAA red-flagged his transcript, forcing Armstrong to do a second year at the JUCO.

Armstrong’s Division I goal was finally realized on Tuesday as the 6-foot-2 Flushing, Queens native signed with Coppin State of the MEAC conference.

“I was relieved, finally after everything,” he said. “I’m very excited. I went through a lot to go to where I’m at. A lot of people doubted me, said I couldn’t play at this level. A lot of people were trying to force me to go Division II. I felt I deserved a chance to play Division I.”

READ MORE

No comments: