Thursday, January 22, 2015

Why I should be JCSU's next coach

I love alma mater, will win in dream job ...

CHARLOTTE, North Carolina -- My name is Tim Newman and I love Johnson C. Smith University. I went to school there. I played football there, and was lucky and blessed enough to earn All-American honors there.

It’s always been my dream to come back and be a head coach at my school. I was an assistant there from 1988-90. And I don’t want to come back to Smith to go somewhere to use it as a stepping stone. I’m like Bobby Lutz when he was head coach at UNC Charlotte. That was his school, his love, his passion. He was willing to go above and beyond to make sure “his” school did well. I think Charlotte never should’ve let Bobby go. I’d imagine more than a few alumni might agree with me now.

When a man is passionate about something, he’ll give it his all. I’m passionate about Smith. I understand the type kid that goes there. I was that kid. I know the CIAA. I coached more than 50 players who went to CIAA schools when I coached a N.C. Tech Preparatory School. In seven years, our teams were 54-5. Several of my players eventually made the NFL, players like Cordarrelle Patterson (first round pick, Vikings), Greg Blair (free agent, Browns) and Antonio Brown (sixth round, Steelers).

Now, I’ve made some mistakes, too. ESPN did a feature video special and news story about...

CONTINUE READING

No comments: