Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Meet The Coaches: Jumping High In The Coaching Game




NOTRE DAME, Indiana -- One bold step is one huge gain for the Fighting Irish.

Pristina Jones stepped down from her head coaching position at Jackson State University, a place where she oversaw a program (cross country, indoor track and outdoor track) that achieved a perfect score of 1000 in the Academic Performance Rate for three straight seasons (2011-12, 2012-13, 2013-14), to become the newest track and field assistant coach at the University of Notre Dame.

"I just applied, and after I did, [Irish head coach Alan Turner] called me and said, `Pristina, are you sure you want to leave being a head coach to come be an assistant coach?' and I was thinking, `Yeah!'

"Sometimes when you have these opportunities, it's not about the title that you have, it's about what you're able to do," Jones said. "I'm able to still do what I had done in my previous coaching position here, just not the title. It's a refreshing position."

Jones will be focusing on sprints and jumps at Notre Dame, events in which she herself was a standout athlete.

CONTINUE READING

No comments: