Thursday, August 7, 2008

In it to win it: New SCSU President encourages fans to support all Bulldog athletics

SCSU President Dr. George E. Cooper

New South Carolina State President George Cooper looks like someone with an extensive athletic background. He has a slender but imposing 6-2 frame similar to a sprinter and starts his day at 5 a.m. by sauntering around the track at the Lorry H. Dawkins Track and Field Facility.

Ask about Cooper and his athletic prowess, however, and it’s considerably on the modest side. “I’m the non-athlete in my family,” he said. “As a youngster, I swam in the intramural leagues in Tallahassee, Fla. I was second and third and didn’t win. I’ve been an avid racquetball player. A, B class racquetball player. Played in some state tournaments there.

“For the last 2 1/2 years, I’ve been an avid golfer and I plan to go on the Senior PGA circuit sometime in the next few months. That’s my aspiration. I don’t play that well.”

CONTINUE READING, CLICK BLOG TITLE.

No comments: