Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Erickson looking for second chance to advance S.C. State in playoffs

Catching up with South Carolina State kicker Blake Erickson is not hard.

Just try Oliver C. Dawson Stadium on Sunday afternoons, around 1 p.m., and Erickson will likely be there aiming at the uprights. "I'm there anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half," Erickson said. "Just trying to get better."

An improving Erickson isn't good news for the MEAC because last season, he was as good as they come in the conference. Erickson, a junior this season, led the MEAC in scoring (87 points), field goals (12 of 14), field-goal percentage (82.4) and point after attempt percentage (97.8). He also led the conference in points scored per game (7.2).

"I thought I did pretty well," Erickson said Monday. "But, I want to keep getting better. Every year I want to keep getting better. I try to set my goal every year to ... I don't want to miss at all. I don't want to miss any field goals or extra points, and punting wise, I want to help the team and keep getting better at that." They key to getting better, according to Erickson, is those Sunday after noon sessions as well as the work with new S.C. State strength and conditioning coach Torre Becton.



READ MORE, CLICK TITLE.

READ RELATED ARTICLES:

S.C. State confirms Legacy Bowl talks

S.C. State’s Kerr suspended from team

Long leads list of top five returning offensive players in MEAC

S.C. State’s Erby leads all returning defenders in the MEAC
Secondary thoughts

Game Time set for S.C. State season opener

No comments: