Monday, May 2, 2011

Women in Sports: International duo boost ASU golf

ASU Golf Coach Dr. Gary Grandison
Montgomery, AL - Amelie Buhl and Aileen Meredith are part of something special, something they never would have envisioned five years ago.

Both are major components in Alabama State's Southwestern Athletic Conference championship women's golf team, international players leading the surge at an HBCU (Historically black colleges and universities) program.

"It's a big change compared to where I'm from," said Meredith, a sophomore from Apia, Samoa. "At first, I wasn't expecting it to be an all-black school but after the first semester my freshman year, I adapted well. At first, everything was hard and difficult but now it's nothing to me. I'm used to it. I'm enjoying myself here."

ASU golf program soaring under Grandison

What a week for the Alabama State women's golf team. And what a week for their coach, Gary Grandison. Thanks to my good friend, Pete Cobb, and the folks at Montgomery Country Club, I've been paying close attention to the job Grandison's been doing at ASU for a couple of years now. Starting out with very little, he's produced a lot, and last week brought the best production of all.

On Tuesday, the ASU women won the Southwestern Athletic Conference tournament for the first time. That's as in, ever. But the Lady Hornets weren't finished.

READ MORE, CLICK EACH TITLE.
VISIT: ALABAMA STATE UNIVERSITY
VISIT: BAMASTATESPORTS

No comments: