Saturday, September 26, 2015

Given another chance, Norfolk State coach Latrell Scott uses his experiences as a life lesson

NORFOLK, Virginia  --  Browsing through his T-shirt drawer Tuesday morning, Latrell Scott found several of the blue and white variety. Those were his colors in college, he’s proud to say, and they’ll always be a part of his wardrobe..

Just not on this Tuesday morning. It wouldn’t look good for Norfolk State’s football coach to show up at his first “Battle of the Bay” news conference with a Hampton University T-shirt. Even if it was underneath his dark suit and green and gold tie.

Because while Scott’s diploma says Hampton University, his paycheck is signed by Norfolk State.



Norfolk State coach Latrell Scott discusses his team's 0-3 start against a killer schedule.

“My wife and I are both Hampton graduates, so a lot of our friends kid us about it,” said Scott, who played tight end at HU from 1994-98. “I don’t make any bones about it, I’m a Hampton fan outside of the business. I look at their score every week. I’ve gotten a hundred messages saying, ‘Good luck, but we’re not pulling for you.’ ”

CONTINUE READING

No comments: