Sunday, April 29, 2018

Grambling's Carter goes undrafted, heads to Redskins on free agent deal

GRAMBLING, Louisiana -- The 2018 NFL Draft put Martez Carter's time-killing skills to the test.

Playing the card game Uno with his family and friends, grabbing quick cat-naps while tuned in to the near, seven-hour long marathon at a watch party at his home with his family, the former Grambling State running back ultimately did not hear his name called by a franchise.

But his free agent wait didn't last a fraction of the time as his wait on the Day 3 of the Draft Saturday. Less than 30 minutes after the last pick was announced, Carter decided to join the Washington Redskins on an undrafted free agent deal.



"It's been a long day. My agent insisted that we wait until after I get the call today to the simple fact of how the running back position was going," Carter said. "At the end of the day, I was able to get a call and it was a great call. It's been a long day, I'm just glad it's adjourned, I'm glad it came to an end with some positive results.

"Not getting drafted was a bummer. But I feel like everything happens for a reason. When it all boils down to it, today was still a great day for me. I got a call and I still have an opportunity to play football on the next level. I didn't walk away from this thing empty-handed. I feel like today wasn't a wasted day. It could've been way better, but you can only ask for so much and the way the chips fell, I'll pick them all up, stack them up again and see how they fall on the next level."

The Monroe native was being courted as a free agent by the reigning Super Bowl champions Philadelphia Eagles, Carolina Panthers, San Francisco 49ers, Baltimore Ravens, Seattle Seahawks, among a few others, after the Draft concluded but chose to head to the nation's capitol. Carter will report to the Redskins on May 10.

CONTINUE READING

No comments: