Monday, January 30, 2017

Martin playing in Portugal; latest UMES Hawk to go pro

PRINESS ANNE, Maryland -- Devin Martin didn’t know what or where Portugal was, but by last Wednesday he knew it was a country that had pro basketball, and some team was going to pay him to play there.

“I just knew that it was in Europe,” Martin said with a laugh. “I got the call from the coach and the president and they flew me in. They gave me the opportunity and I just took it.”

The former University of Maryland Eastern Shore guard has had an eventful past few days.

He signed his first pro contract, with Sampaense Basket, on Jan. 25. The next day, he traveled from his home in Baltimore to Coimbra, a city in Portugal.

By Sunday, he was playing in his first pro game. He played 16 minutes in his debut with Sampaense Basket, tallying nine points, four rebounds and three steals in the team’s second win of the season.

“It was a really quick process,” Martin said. “My coach didn’t want to run me too much, because I just got here and I’m still trying to adjust to the time difference, but it was good.”

CONTINUE READING

No comments: