Sunday, September 14, 2008

TSU Heffner gets win, and girl in Southern Heritage Classic

Ex-Melrose QB scores twice, then proposes

Antonio Heffner made his final college appearance in his hometown a memorable one. Football had something to do with it. The former Melrose star ran for one touchdown and threw for another, and Tennessee State defenders returned two of three interceptions for touchdowns in a 41-18 rout of Jackson State in the 19th Southern Heritage Classic Saturday night before 50,794 at Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium.

TSU and JSU draws another large crowd (50,794) to the Southern Heritage Classic in Memphis, TN, Sept. 13, 2008 and a world-wide audience on the Armed Forces TV Network.

But moments after winning the game's Offensive MVP award for the third straight year, he dropped to one knee at midfield and proposed to longtime girlfriend Angel Parker, a nurse at Methodist University Hospital. The stats showed he was 11-of-16 for 137 yards in the passing department. Make that 12-of-17 -- Parker said yes. "I knew I was going to do this all week. Told my teammates I was going to," Heffner said. "When I got on the field I was focused on that. But when they took me out after the third quarter, that's when I started to think about it."

CONTINUE READING, CLICK BLOG TITLE.

Attendance: 50,794 (81.4%) at Liberty Bowl, Memphis, TN (Capacity: 62,380).

READ RELATED ARTICLES:
Second quarter zaps JSU's chances
TSU claims Classic for 6th straight year
James Webster is all too happy to say "I told you so."
TSU's early success sends message to critics
TSU transfers contribute quickly
Tiger defense not at its best, but 41 points a bit misleading, too
JSU has no answers
J-State has plenty to play for

No comments: