Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Fisk Bulldogs' Cameron Lewis Wins NAIA Div. I National Award

CAMERON LEWIS
6'-3"/175
Nashville, Tennessee
KANSAS CITY, Missouri -- Cameron Lewis of Fisk University (Tenn.) has been named the NAIA National Division I Men's Basketball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Lewis was selected based on his performances from Jan. 13 – 19 and was chosen out of a pool of conference and independent award winners.

"This is huge for Fisk and our conference," said Lewis. "To be honest I am surprised that someone from a smalll school like Fisk would be recognized at this level. Coach (Jay) Smith told me that he has heard from some adminstrators about this. I think he is more excited than I am. My mother is very excited too. I can't express what this means."

Lewis, a native of Nashville, Tenn., averaged 29.5 points, nine rebounds and 5.5 assists to carry the Bulldogs to a pair of Gulf Coast Athletic Conference victories last week. In a 96-87 win against Voorhees (S.C.) on Jan. 13, the junior guard shot 50 percent (4-for-8) from 3-point range en route to a season-high 33 points. He was also a perfect 9-for-9 at the free throw line in the contest. Against Dillard (La.) on Jan. 18, Lewis continued his stellar play, tallying his seventh double-double of the season with 26 points and 11 rebounds. He finished the game three assists shy of his second triple-double of the season. Fisk's NAIA All American has been out since December. Lewis can't wait until he gets back

"I wish Darrell was out there with me," said Lewis. I share this award with the team but especially him. He has pushed me hard over the years. I would love to see him win one when he gets back and we go on a roll.

On the year, Lewis ranks fifth nationally in total assists (93) and total steals (49), while also ranking 10th in points per game (21.8).

NOMINEES: Latraius Mosley, Life (Ga.); William Nelson, LSU Shreveport (La.); Dominique Rambo, SAGU (Texas); Kyle Teichmann, Freed-Hardeman (Tenn.); Charlie Wallrapp, Benedictine (Kan.); Garrett Neilan, Hope International (Calif.); D.d. Joiner, Rio Grande (Ohio); Antonio Snow, Montana Tech; Luke Miller, Emmanuel (Ga.); Stephen Coles, West Virginia Tech.

2013-14 NAIA DIVISION I MEN'S BASKETBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Week 1 (Jan. 7): Dominique Rambo, SAGU (Texas)
Week 2 (Jan. 14): Phillip Miller, Wiley (Texas)
Week 3 (Jan. 21): Cameron Lewis, Fisk (Tenn.)

COURTESY THE GULF COAST ATHLETIC CONFERENCE MEDIA RELATIONS

No comments: