Sunday, March 9, 2014

Odums sets tone for Southern spring

Refreshed by SWAC title, Jaguars resets mental focus

BATON ROUGE, Louisiana  -- Southern coach Dawson Odums established the theme for spring football practice at the outset.

When the team convened before dawn last Wednesday for the first of 15 practices, Odums mentioned the theme and continued to through the first week of practice, which concludes Sunday.

“Our theme this whole spring is your ‘get to’ versus your ‘go to,’ which really works the mindset,” Odums said. “The difference is, you say, ‘I get to go to practice and get better today. I get to go to class and get better today,’ not that ‘I’ve got to go, so I’m just going to go and not do what I’m really supposed to do.’

“It’s your ‘get to’ versus your ‘go to’ so it’s a big mindset point. Everything else just comes down to discipline, execution and fundamentals.”

In addition to working on ...

CONTINUE READING

No comments: