Friday, July 28, 2017

With different perspective than most, Mike London likes what he has at Howard

NORFOLK, Virginia -- As a private school, Howard University is not required to reveal employee salaries. But regarding football coach Mike London, we know this: It’s less than the $300,000 he made last year as a Maryland assistant.

Kery Davis, the Bison’s athletic director, dropped that nugget during London’s introductory press conference Jan. 9. So, yes, London agreed to a pay cut in taking over a program that has had one winning season in the last 12 years.

But neither money nor prominence drives him. A man who once had a gun pointed at his head and donated bone marrow to save his daughter’s life can be expected to look at life differently than most.

“It’s a chance for longevity,” London said at the MEAC’s Media Day Friday morning. “My son (Mike Jr.) is on my staff, and I’m regionally close to this area, where I’m from. It’s a similar school to the other schools I’ve been at. I’ve been at educational institutions my whole career.

“It’s not as much to me about status and prestige. I’ve been fortunate to have been at a lot of good places. Howard is a place where we have an opportunity to build something.

CONTINUE READING

No comments: