Monday, August 14, 2017

Cam Newton's brother Caylin on Howard: 'This is my Auburn'

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Caylin Newton has spent much of his formative years in the shadow of his older brother, former Auburn quarterback Cam Newton.

Caylin is a decade younger than Cam, the former NFL MVP who stars for the Carolina Panthers, and has been compared to him at every stage of his childhood on the football field. Caylin is hoping to change that now that he's entering his freshman year at Howard, a small historically black university in Washington D.C. that plays in the MEAC.



"I'm trying to make my own path," Caylin recently told the Washington Post. "I'm trying to be a person that stands for who I am, but my last name is my last name. I get it. I mean, he's a big deal. NFL MVP. So I can't be not owning who my brother is."

Still, Caylin is trying to make a name for himself for the Bison after signing with the program in February. While both were standouts at Atlanta area high schools, Cam has 6 inches on his little brother and was a far more coveted prospect. Caylin threw for 3,322 yards and 33 touchdowns as a senior at Grady High while running for more than 1,000 yards and 13 scores, but his size disadvantage kept him more under the radar despite his family name.

CONTINUE READING

No comments: