Sunday, August 13, 2017
Tennessee State Tigers' Wayne Martin Inks Professional Contract with Prishtina BC in Kosovo
NASHVILLE, Tennessee -- Recent Tennessee State graduate Wayne Martin (Brooklyn, N.Y.) signed his first contract to play professional basketball overseas for Prishtina BC in Kosovo.
“I don’t think I’ve ever been more proud of an individual than I am of Wayne Martin,” TSU Head Coach Dana Ford said. “He’s a college graduate of Tennessee State University and now he’s a professional basketball player. All the credit belongs to Wayne and his mom and their willingness to allow us to help him become who he is today.”
Martin starred for the Tigers for the last two seasons, helping lead TSU to back-to-back winning seasons. After transferring to TSU from Navarro College in Texas, the 6-7 forward put up 12.8 points and 9.1 rebounds per game in his two seasons in Nashville.
“Coach (Dana) Ford got me ready for the real world and for professional basketball,” Martin said.
- Prishtina BC competes in the Kosovo-SuperLeague.
- The 6-7 forward led TSU with 14.4 points per game en route to Second Team All-Ohio Valley Conference honors in 2016-17.
- Martin dominated on the glass, finishing second in the OVC with 9.2 rebounds per game and tying for third in the conference with 10 double-doubles as a senior.
- Martin also earned NABC Second Team All-District 19 and BOXTOROW First Team All-America for his play as a senior.
- The Brooklyn, N.Y. native made 47 starts with 60 appearances over the last two seasons with the Tigers.
- In his junior season with the Tigers, Martin put up 11.1 points and 9.2 rebounds per game.
- In his first game in a TSU uniform on Nov. 13, 2015, Martin made an immediate impact with 27 points and 21 rebounds at Loyola Maryland, becoming the first OVC player with a 20/20 game since Morehead State’s Kenneth Faried posted three such games in 2010-11.
- Throughout his TSU career, Martin recorded 20 double-doubles.
TENNESSEE STATE UNIVERSITY ATHLETICS MEDIA COMMUNICATIONS