Wednesday, March 28, 2018

TSU Welcomes Head Men's Basketball Coach Brian 'Penny' Collins



NASHVILLE, Tennessee  -- The Tennessee State community welcomed new Head Men's Basketball Coach Brian "Penny" Collins with an introductory press conference at Hankal Hall on campus on Monday. Collins is the 18th Head Coach in program history. The press conference included remarks from TSU President Dr. Glenda Glover, TSU Director of Athletics Teresa Phillips and TSU Men's Basketball Coach Brian "Penny" Collins

PHOTO GALLERY

DR. GLENDA GLOVER

“We welcome coach Brian ‘Penny’ Collins back to TSU to take the helm as TSU’s men’s basketball coach, and to take us to the next level to what TSU has a tradition of doing and that is winning championships. Mr. Collins being a player and a coach is used to that. Coach Collins returns to TSU to make his mark on the program. He’s bringing experience and hometown knowledge that will help us recruit local talent and continue building a winning team. We appreciate the legacy he brings.”



TERESA PHILLIPS

“We have chosen a person who is a thinker, a leader, motivator and a competitor – all attributes that will support our ultimate goal, which is to win championships while building champions. He brings a fresh enthusiasm, and I trust that he will infuse a higher level of energy to Gentry Center, and he’ll reach out to the community, while also engaging our students. We will need every constituent, everybody in the fold, to come together if we are to bring ourselves back to that championship level that we all would like.”

“A successful athletic program can become a foundation for building and increasing your enrollment, for exploding your fundraising and for bringing national exposure to your university. That is what athletics can do.”

“No engine can drive a positive agenda for a university as quickly and as powerfully as a winning athletics program.”

BRIAN "PENNY" COLLINS

“This is something I’ve been thinking about since I was a child.”

“My sophomore year in high school, I wanted to be president of the entire student body… That was a time I realized I could be a great leader, and not only on the basketball court, but my sophomore and junior year, I was allowed to lead my entire high school.”

“Helping [Lonnie Thompson (Cumberland University)] build that program provided me with the confidence to be the head coach at the age of 26.”

“My last five years, I’ve played in five conference tournament [championship] games. But, it’s not about me at all. It’s about the players and the hard work we put in with those players. I want to continue that here.”

“This is my dream job. I am going to win here. I am going to recruit locally. We’re also going to recruit nationally. We’re going to go after athletes that have high character. We’re going to go after athletes that come from winning programs. We’re going to go after student-athletes that want to be a part of something special.”

“I want our coaches to be all about them, and that’s one thing I can say Coach [Dana] Ford and his staff has done. They have changed the culture. The guys here believe they can win, and I just want to build on that.”

“We want to play fast. I want to get out and score. I want to take a little of every place I’ve been. We’re going to press, we’re going change defenses. We’re going to keep teams off balance. We’re going to make it a track meet.”

“You better go out and get your season tickets now. We will make the Gentry Center the toughest place to play in the OVC.”

“We will be in the community. We will be involved. You will see us. You will see me. You will see our staff. You will see our players. We will be getting involved with kids, and community service events around the whole city. For them to come here, we will go to them as well.”

“TSU is important to me because of the trailblazing alumni that have come before me. It’s the historical figures who have not only come from athletics, but this institution as well. I think about the games that I saw in the Hole when it was packed. I remember the early 90’s, leaving Memphis to come into town for the holidays, and seeing Carlos Rogers and Frankie Allen have this gym tore up. People were hanging from the rafters. I remember Anthony Law having a turkey bone screaming at the fans and other teams. I remember Coach Phillips and her staff had the best team in the OVC. I remember going to football games having Leon Murray throw bombs. I remember tailgates and being excited for homecoming parades like it was Christmas Eve. The Aristocrat of Bands and their symphonic songs – it’s amazing that they can play music that can make you feel pure joy. The world-renowned Tigerbelles and Wilma Rudolph. The frats and sororities who wear their colors with pride and badges of honor. ... So much culture and passion. I think about Jefferson Street. It’s the smiles I see on people’s faces.”

“For every great player that left the city, that will change. I will guarantee that.”

“I want to motivate this city. Not just the players, the students, the staff… I want to motivate this whole city.”

“We’re going to play fast. We definitely want to go inside, but there’s nothing off the table of what I want to do. I’m trying to see what the personnel is like and make a decision from there.”

“There are no rewards without effort and investment. Today we will begin that process.”



TENNESSEE STATE UNIVERSITY ATHLETICS MEDIA COMMUNICATIONS

No comments: