Saturday, May 5, 2018

Ram Ramblings: Hayes fulfills dream with induction into N.C. Sports Hall of Fame



WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina -- When Bill Hayes was coaching football there was a scowl on his face most of the time because he was in his element.

Now that Hayes has been out of coaching for a few years he doesn’t where that sideline scowl anymore.

“I smile a lot more these days, and why not?” Hayes said Thursday morning, the day before he will be inducted into the North Carolina Sports Hall of Fame.

Hayes, 74, who has lived in Winston-Salem his entire coaching career going back to his days at North Forsyth, had quite a time cutting his speech he will give on Friday at the induction ceremony in Raleigh.

“They gave me only four minutes but I think I got it nailed down pretty good,” Hayes said. “If I don’t mention any names then I think I’ll be OK.”

Hayes, the all-time winningest coach in N.C. A&T history, is also the second winningest coach in Winston-Salem State history. His 195-104-2 record in 27 seasons as a coach only tells half the story about his career.

Hayes not only was a good coach on the field, he cared about his players off the field. And the countless stories of what he did for his former players is something he is proud of.



CONTINUE READING

No comments: