Saturday, May 30, 2015

Bowie State's Khari Lee Living NFL Experience

Khari Lee
HOUSTON, Texas -- The dream fulfilled continues for former Bowie State University Bulldog Tight End, Khari Lee.  Following a Pro Day that brought multiple NFL Scouts to Bulldogs Stadium and several personal try-outs at team NFL team practice facilities, Lee followed in the footsteps of former Bulldogs Defensive End Delano Johnson and signed a Free Agent contract with the Houston Texans on May 8, 2015.

When asked what his initial reaction was when he got the call from the Texans, Lee said, "I was very excited once I got the call. All the hard work I had put in over the years got me to that point. It was surreal! The Texans were actually the first team to come to school and work me out." He then added, "I'm not really sure what the coaches have in store for the tight end position this year; I'm just excited to go out there, give it my all and compete. The Medal of Honor Bowl and East-West Shriner Game were great for exposure during my pre-draft process but now that I have an opportunity, I have to make the most of it."

Since joining the Texans, Lee has spoken with Johnson who was on the Texans roster from May 2012 to August 2013. Having moved on to the Toronto Argonauts, Johnson still had sage advice for the Rookie. "He urged me to pray every night and earn my spot every day.

In January, Bill O'Brien was named the new Head Coach and John Perry was named Tight Ends Coach. We asked Lee what strengths he brought to the table as a Rookie with a fresh coaching staff and going up against the likes of J.J. Watt and Vince Wilfork in practice every day? "My versatility is what separates me from a lot of people. Whether it is my route running or run blocking, I think I do a lot of things well and it's a great opportunity to come out and compete against some of the best in the NFL. "

A walk-on student-athlete turned All-American and now college graduate turned professional football player. When asked to recall his most vivid Bowie State Bulldogs memories, Lee said, "My most vivid memory would have to be warming up on game day and hearing that band march down the hill. The atmosphere of it all makes HBCU football one of a kind. Like those before him, Lee will most certainly take Bulldog Pride with him.

 "The article of clothing I'd wear every game if I could would probably be a Bowie State dry fit workout shirt."

 Lee ended with these words for his follow Bulldogs he knows will one day follow him, Delano Johnson, Douglas McNeil, III and Isaac Redman; all NFL players. "Find your why and never stop grinding. If you want something, go get it. Don't listen to the critics or fans just go out and use your God given talent with 100% effort."

 No better words have been spoken. Well done, Bulldog…well done.

COURTESY BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY SPORTS INFORMATION

No comments: