Thursday, December 3, 2015

UMES basketball coach Bobby Collins not discouraged by 1-5 start

PRINCESS ANNE, Maryland -- The UMES men's basketball team scored one fewer point than Georgetown in the second half, but it wasn’t enough to prevent the team from tumbling to a 68-49 loss Tuesday night.

The Hawks are 1-5 so far, but those five losses came against opponents from larger programs. That’s partly why coach Bobby Collins isn’t going crazy about the team’s record.

“I think Georgetown’s a very good team, Missouri’s a good team, Kansas State is a very good team, Wofford is a very good team, and so is Fairfield,” he said Wednesday afternoon. “I think we might hear those teams’ names again in March. So to be 1-5 at this moment, I’m far from discouraged. I just want my team to get better, and for us, it’s really about being good in those games in March. That’s where I’m focusing.”

UMES can now turn its attention to the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference portion of its schedule. The team will open league play Saturday at North Carolina Central, which is 1-4 but owns the second-longest active Division I win streak at home at 36. (Arizona owns the longest streak at 42.)

CONTINUE READING

No comments: