Sunday, May 29, 2016

High risk, high reward: New Bern native Shawn Best transferring to JUCO from North Carolina A&T, re-opens recruitment


SHAWN BEST #76

NEW BERN, North Carolina -- Shawn Best knows the risk he’s taking. But like he has most of his life, the 6-foot-6, 322-pound offensive lineman is looking forward to proving doubters wrong.

The former New Bern High standout is transferring from North Carolina A&T to Arizona Western College in Yuma, Arizona. He will play a season of junior college football and re-open his recruitment – and work for a scholarship at a Division-I program for the 2017 class.

“I’m very determined. There are a lot of people who have their opinions of me now because I am transferring,” said Best. “I’m taking a big risk by leaving A&T, but I’m working to better my pastures. “I’m looking forward to proving them wrong.”

His decision is already paying dividends. Best has already received an offer from Iowa State and Idaho, and has heard from others. He leaves for Arizona on June 29. After Best plays a season at Arizona Western, he will have two more seasons of eligibility at another school.

CONTINUE READING

No comments: