Saturday, June 4, 2016

HU's Holloway has already made history, but he wants more

HAMPTON, Virginia — Hampton University track coach Maurice Pierce hadn't considered the possibility until someone brought it up. But it's true: Senior Trey Holloway became the Pirates' first male athlete to qualify for the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships in four consecutive years.

Holloway, who will be competing in the 110-meter hurdles, is proud of that. But he wants more.

"It wasn't my ultimate goal, but I'm proud to accomplish that by going all four years and making it to the national championships," Holloway said. "I've been taking the best opportunity I have with Coach P and making the best of my training. My main goal is to go ahead and get a national title for the school. The last one hasn't been since Francena (McCorory)."

McCorory won the 400 meters (indoor and outdoor) in 2010. HU's only other national champion was Yvette Lewis, now an assistant coach with the Pirates.



CONTINUE READING

No comments: